If you're anything like me, going to the gym on a sunny & 75 type of day does not sound too appealing. I would rather be outside enjoying the beautiful weather. Incorporate a little nontraditional exercise to keep your body moving and your skin sun-kissed. These fun activities will give you the best of both worlds.
1. Swimming. Whether you take a dip in the pool or the lake, you'll have your work cut out for you. Challenge yourself by seeing how many times you can swim from the buoy and back. Or, time yourself in a lap pool to get that heart rate up.
Average calories burned per hour: 450.
2. Kayaking. Kayaking provides a full-body workout by targeting your abs, shoulders, back, and legs. You'll use your abs and legs to stabilize yourself, and your shoulders and back when you're paddling. Don't tip over or else you'll burn more calories!!
Average calories burned per hour: 350.
3. Wake boarding/Water Skiing. These two water sports work it all: your quads, glutes, hammies, calves, core, grip strength, and if you fall, your arms ;). Nothin' like ridin' the waves, bro.
Average calories burned per hour: 325.
4. Stand-up Paddle Boarding. Not only is this relaxing, but it's also a killer workout. The calm water soothes the soul while exercising your core, arms, and legs. You can even practice yoga on a paddle board. Not all of us (me) are talented enough to do that, but you should give it a shot! Talk about an epic core workout!
Average calories burned per hour: 400.
5. Tennis. Take a swing at tennis with a friend. There are plenty of free, public tennis courts around town that are calling your name. Work your arms, shoulders, and core for a competitive high-intensity workout.
Average calories burned per hour: 500
6. Golfing. Grab your clubs and hit the green! Hot summer days may not be ideal for your golf game, but the early morning tee times and the upcoming cool fall air will be just the ticket. Be sure to walk the course rather than take a golf cart to burn almost double the cals!
Average calories burned per hour with a cart (nine holes): 400. Average calories burned per hour walking (nine holes): 720.
7. Sand Volleyball. Get competitive with some friends or family on the beach. Your arms, legs, and core will be burning as you sweat your way through this workout. May the best team win!
Average calories burned per hour: 710.
Be sure to drink LOTS of water during these activities. Since they require you to be outside in the summer heat, you will sweat even more than usual, therefore, become dehydrated quite quickly. Keep water on hand at all times!
*Calories burned vary based on your weight and intensity during the activity.